Thursday 25 December 2014

2014

In 2013 I failed to play Empire (bought a ticket, had a character and accidentally crewed) and realised I hadn't played a LRP game for about three years. 
In 2014 I played all four Curious Pastimes games, three SlenderLARP (LRP) games, Red Letter Day, Gunfest, and went to Phoenix LRP, as well as crewing Empire.

It's been a really good year (from a LRP point of view, I'm aware the year isn't yet over but I'm not attending games for the next few days so it'll be next year before anything amazingly LRP based happens again). 

Curious Pastimes:

Curious Pastimes is the first large system I was part of. From 2003 until 2009 I went to most of their main events and several faction and winter events (Including ones run by Mandala). I stopped enjoying it and stopped attending. I only went to renewal in 2011 and left that feeling a bit meh. 

This year there was a chance to be part of a 'monster' faction for new players and those who'd been out of the game for a while. I figured I'd try it. It was really good. They've ironed out a lot of the reasons it wasn't working for me, and it's now a really nice system with a lot of atmosphere and strong national identities for the players. I played one event with the Tuareg and then moved back to the Lions who've been amazing. They're welcoming, inclusive and lovely people. It's been really great to see so many people I know and the CP style of game really suits me. 


SlenderLRP:

I seem to have turned into something of a SlenderLRP fan girl (even if they do insist on putting the 'A' in LRP). I've been to three of their events this year. They're always felt utterly disconcerting in the best possible way and each one is better than the last. I love what these people do. These events have also made me think about the way that we run events and are one of the reasons I started the blog. There's normally utter terror at some point mixed in with a huge amount of clue solving and piles of information, paperwork, real world references, visits to other locations and a good deal of paranoia relating to other players. 
The attention to detail is amazing. 

I'm really looking forward to their next event, just a bit worried it might be at the point I'm intending to be in another country, so hopefully they'll release the date soon... 


Workshop:

This blog isn't really about the workshop. Hence I normally don't really talk about what I'm doing there. However, it seems appropriate for this entry. We make weapons, armour, costume, jewellery, leather work as well as the masks and prosthetics we started with. Mandala has a wide range of people working there, and it's developed nicely over the last year. We're going to be trading at the LRP Awareness Party in Leicester in February (and some of our stock will be at 'What's Your Game' with Whiterose Apparel.) Our new armour range will be unveiled at these events. I'm really looking forward to that. 

We've got a laser cutter. This expands the range of things we can make in house nicely. There should be more photos appearing on the Mandala Facebook Page to show some of the things we've been working on. 


Mandala's Christmas Krampus



Red Letter Day:

This was a brilliant event. I've posted a review of this only recently so won't go into too much detail. It's run by a very good time and builds on many of the elements I enjoy most about SlenderLRP. I'm really looking forward to their next game, which Dave has assured me they are writing as I type :-p. 

I also played a Gunfest event. I'll probably just leave it at Gunfest - Fuck yeah.

Empire:

Empire is not the event I want to play. I do really enjoy crewing it. I seem to be tending towards smaller games when I am playing and, with the exception of CP, I'm tending towards modern day events. 

Phoenix LRP

This was delightfully old school. A group of us went for an afternoons adventuring and it was great. We will be returning. 

2015

I intend to continue in the same vein as I have been. I'm looking for more of the present day stuff and would like to run a horror event or two. We've got a site booked for Jurassic LRP in September. The list of things I want to do is far longer than I can possibly accommodate in the time I have available. I suspect that's true for most LRPers. If there's anything you'd particularly recommend let me know.




No comments:

Post a Comment